Taking into consideration the existing context and needs , adult
education reform as a part of the reform of the entire education
system (especially vocational) covers four basic strategic goals:
- Opening regular schools for adults, i.e. adapting their programmes
and organisation to the needs of adults
- Revitalization of the existing network of institutions and organizations
for adult education and training
- Establishing new institutions and organisations for adult education
such as regional centres for adults or other types of institutions
for adult education. Regional centres for adults are institutions
adjusted via open curricula to the needs of the economy and the
- Strengthening the educational function of the enterprises and
the development of the possibility of workplace learning
The third of these strategic goals includes establishing of adult
education regional training centres as leading regional institutions
for vocational training, capacity building and training for adults.
Their activities will support the economic development of regions
through the rapid, high quality response to needs for knowledge,
skills and competences.
The basic activities of regional training centres are:
1) development and realisation of:
2) accreditation of previous learning and knowledge and skills
gained in a non-formal way;
- curricula of vocational education for adults (from individual
modules to full curricula of vocational education leading to general
- curricula for vocational training (I and II level of vocational
- curricula for vocational short-term training;
- curricula for postsecondary vocational education;
- curricula for continuous vocational training;
- curricula for non-formal education for specific needs.
3) information, counselling and guidance in the selection of programmes
of short-term training, training and career guidance in education
according to individual preferences, needs of the local community
and the labour market. This is realised in close cooperation with
regional and local employment services.
By combining criteria for selection, five VET schools have been
choosen in order to widen their activities for adult students and,
following defined procedures acquire the status of regional training
centres for adults. The selected schools are:
1. Secondary School of Civil Engineering``Neimar``, Nis
2. Secondary Technical School, Kragujevac
3. Mining and Metallurgy School, Bor
4. Secondary School of Chemistry, Food Treatment and Textile "
Uroš Predic", Zrenjanin
5. Technical School 'Novi Beograd', Beograd
Regional training centers for adults are supposed to start their
activities from the begining of school 2004/2005.